Thursday, December 4, 2008

CHRISTMAS MEMORIES

 I have always loved Christmas! It is such a fun time of year! We had such great traditions when I was growing up. My parents always invited any missionary around who wanted to come for our Christmas Eve dinner. After dinner we would put on a nativity when we were kids and then have a testimony meeting. After all the visitors had gone, we could open one present before bed- it was usually Christmas PJ's. Then, all the kids would go sleep in one room. We couldn't get up until 6 am and so we would set the alarm clock to make sure we knew the exact second we could run in to see what Santa had brought. I remember lots of Christmas mornings when I would eat Enstrom's mint-chocolate sandwiches from my stocking for breakfast! Ah, those were the days!

 
Nativity performance about 1977. (I am in pink and I have no idea what I was supposed to be).
 
My older sister playing the music.

I can't think of Christmas and not think of my parents. Both of them were enthusiastic about Christmas in different ways. My mom made great food and made our home a fun, festive holiday place to be. My dad would catch the spirit a few days before and go shop, shop, shop. I remember one Christmas morning he sent us on a treasure hunt to go find presents he had bought for us at the last minute. He was very fun. This time of year really makes me miss them.
 
I love this photo of my mom and her hair.

 
This is a very typical setting for my dad.

No comments: