Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 YEARS AGO


I don't think I've ever written about 9/11. Since this is one of my journals, I would like to record what I do remember from that time on its 10th anniversary.

That morning I was busy. I didn't have the TV on until later after both the towers had fallen, but I didn't miss the footage. They showed it over and over again. I called my mom to confirm that what I was watching was really happening. We talked for a while in disbelief and then I sat for 2 hours, stunned by the images and the messages they carried. It brought me to tears over and over and, like the rest of the US, I still couldn't believe it was happening. I finally had to turn off the news. I just couldn't take it anymore. I realized at the time, how fortunate I was that I COULD turn it off. For so many people it was a nightmare they would have to live with for the rest of their lives because of the loss of loved ones.

When my husband and my children (then 9, 7, and 5) came home that evening, we talked a lot about it. Our school had the kids watch some of the reports (I wasn't sure how I felt about that at the time) and they just could not understand. Why would people want to kill themselves and lots of other people like that? I am so glad they couldn't understand. I would worry about anyone who can.

I am grateful for the freedom that I have continued to be able to have these past 10 years. Many have lost their lives on and since that day. I know some of the men personally that have gone to live in foreign countries and live through unspeakable events so that our families are safe. I will always be thankful for them and their sacrifice for the life I am able live.

No comments: