Saturday, September 17, 2016

MY BIRTH MOM

I was adopted when I was 3 days old. I grew up in a wonderful family with 4 other adopted siblings. I always knew I was adopted and my parents were very willing to talk about it and open to the idea of us finding our birth parents when we turned 18 if that was what we wanted. I never felt the need. I had great respect for my birth mom and was so grateful she was willing to give me up so that I could have a better life, but I didn't want to interrupt her life and cause chaos if she hadn't ever told anyone about me. I've heard horror stories of that kind of confrontation going very wrong and lots of feelings being hurt. I loved my family and my life and never felt like anything was missing, but in the back of my mind I was always curious about my genetic line and where I came from. I was definitely open to meeting my birth mother if she should ever reach out.

Well, that's what happened! Right after we got home from our trip to Moab earlier in the month, I was contacted by an adoption PI who told me that my birth family was looking for me, particularly my birth mother. I was blown away. It was so out of the blue, but I was very willing to let her contact me.  We jumped through the legal hoops and she called me. I had big butterflies in my stomach, but otherwise was just excited to hear from her. She introduced herself and told me about her family and I told her about mine. We talked about how I came to be and the circumstances leading to and surrounding my birth. Much of the information my mom had been told had been inaccurate and it was so interesting to hear the real story. She is a wonderful lady and I am thrilled to know her. We set up a time to get together and she came to my house today. We went through my baby pictures and then to lunch where we talked and talked for hours. It was so fun to meet her and get to know her. We are friends on Facebook and I have even talked with two of her daughters- my half sisters. It has really opened a door for me that I never really thought would. I'm thrilled!
My birth mom and I.

No comments: