Every year for the art department Christmas party we have to bring a White Elephant gift of something we made. It is always very stressful for me and I really struggle for what to do, in fact, I don't even remember what I did the first year. Last year I made a tunnel book with a little Christmas-y fireside scene inside of it. It turned out fun, but I am insecure and I worry about how it was received. This year I was going to do something different, but I couldn't come up with an idea, so I went back to the old standby of bookmaking and here is what I did. I really like it, but again, I have the insecurities of worrying that a serious art person will think they are getting ripped off by getting something so cutesy...
This is the inside. (It is a Christmas tree made out of a paperback novel and spray painted gold.)
This is the outside.
I really love it and would keep it in a minute, so I guess that is always a good sign. At least I remembered to photograph it this year.
4 comments:
I loved the way your little book turned out! It is absolutely wonderful -- the little bits of "sparkly" red on the gold tree was an awesome touch.
I know how it feels to be stressed out about something -- like me getting ready for big parties -- but in the end it always seems to turn out. I don't think you have anything to worry about with art -- beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. Some people like it and some people don't, but when all is said and done, you make it out of personal enjoyment and the people who like it will be attracted to it -- who really cares what the others think.
You are a truly creative person and I hope that you are proud to be so creative. The things that you "put together" (for the lack of a more proper term tonight) are always so neat and creative. I really admire that about you!
It reminds me of that Christmas Tree mom had, remember that one? I think it was made from an old magazine but same concept. I don't think it's too cutsy, it sort of looks "old worldly", reminds me of Father Christmases and stuff like that. Be proud of what you created and if the person who recieved it doesn't like it they can suck it, right?
I would love to get something like that. But I am not a "serious" art person. But what would a serious art person like? A depressing painting that makes a statement about society? Furthermore, I always thought of you as a serious art person. If they don't like it, well, what Alese said.
I'm going to have to go with Alese on this one.....I love your book and it totally rocks! So just be proud and own that baby!!
Post a Comment