Wednesday, February 27, 2013

HANDMADE LEATHER JOURNALS

The other day I got a text that told me to come get some leather and book board scraps from a friend that makes books for a living. I was more than happy to oblige! It made me want to make some books, so I did!! 
Ethiopian coptic stitch.
I've never worked with leather before. I've always been too intimidated, but hey, these were scraps anyway, so I just went for it.
Inside (approx. 3.5' x 4.5)
Bad idea. I should have slowed down and watched the tutorial FIRST, but of course I didn't. I did the corners wrong, but at least they are consistent. Big C grabbed it and said he wanted it, so it can't be too bad. It just wouldn't pass muster with a professional.
Long stitch leather journals
I have also made some other journals, a little bigger (approx. 6" x 4.5") and a different stitch that I'd never done before. They turned out pretty well too, but I still have some issues to work out. I'm loving the leather and I'm so pleased I still have sacks of scraps to work with to make even more!! 


No comments: