Saturday, June 21, 2014

SUMMER SNOW- WEEK 2

This was my favorite Summer Snow workshop ever! It was a class taught by Daniel Essig (here's a link to his website). He is an amazing book artist! The class was sculptural wooden books and niches and I am hooked! I can't wait to make more!
Using the drill press.
I have always had a fear of power tools, but this class helped me get past that (to a certain extent- I still won't use a table saw) and I can now use a drill press and sander. That is serious progress for me!
My first book in the class. (before the end band was done)
First we made tiny wooden/mica covered books (1" x 2") with a little peep hole and then learned to do Ethiopian coptic bindings and end bands. I already knew how to do coptic binding, but the end bands were new and awesome!
Working on my first wood carving- ever!
After the books, we moved on to the niches- or reliquaries- to hold our books. He gave us a block of wood and told us to design! It was pretty intimidating, but I decided to do a house. I am absolutely in love with the way it turned out! (Now when have have you ever heard me say that??)
'A House of Learning' by Kim Gordon. Wood, paper, milk paint, mica.
I was in the class with a bunch of really fabulous artists too. I just have to show some of the other works that came out of this class...
Adam Larsen
Doug Larsen
Zane Anderson
Frank Mc Entire- his website
Kalee ?
Karleigh Heywood- her Website
My fun class!

No comments: