Sunday, March 24, 2013

10 DAYS IN EUROPE- ROME

Wow! I finally made it to Europe after 30 years of dreaming. It was just as wonderful as I thought it would be! We left early in the morning of the 20th and flew out of SLC to Detroit. In Detroit our plane had mechanical problems so they made us get off and reboard a different plane. Two and a half ours behind, we missed our connection in Amsterdam and thus our connection to Rome. We ended up stopping in Milan before Rome so our whole first day in Rome was gone. I was so sad!
Me and P at the airport in Detroit.
The next day we found out there was a metro/bus strike until 5:30 pm (they schedule them there), so we ended up walking across Rome to the Vatican. It was great to see everything though, so I didn't mind too much. The Vatican museum was great to see and I was THRILLED to see the Sistine Chapel (like I knew I would). I poached some photos because I just couldn't resist. It was super crowded, but amazing just to be there. St. Peter's basilica took me by surprise. There is no way to convey the size of the place. Photos don't do it justice. And we didn't see the Pope in case you were wondering.

My chin with the Sistine ceiling.
There is so much to see in Rome. The age of the place is just amazing. The modern city is just built right around all the centuries-old structures. It was a fun to just walk, places and see all the architecture. Of course, we didn't really do that. We always had somewhere to go and things to see. In Rome, you don't go to a museum, all the works are in their original places, so you go to all the little churches to see them. We saw sculptures by Michelangelo, paintings by Caravaggio, and other amazing works.

Me in front of the pantheon. 
I loved being in the Pantheon. What an amazing space and work of engineering.

The colosseum.
Kissing the devil!
My coconut gelato.
I LOVED gelato! I would be so fat if I lived in Italy. They have great food and none of it's healthy, but it's fun to have for a vacation!









No comments: